The 750 launch sits at approximately 2500′ MSL and is located on the Cloudland Truck Trail (2N40) northeast of AJX. There is ample room to set up and launch several paragliders and hang gliders and is an easy glide to AJX.
Pilots must familiarize themselves with this information before arriving, and this information DOES NOT replace the need for an in-person site briefing from a local pilot or instructor familiar with the area.
Visiting Pilots: All launches and LZs require a P3/H3 rating or above. Visitors NOT meeting P3/H3 requirements must schedule instruction or observation with a local instructor before arriving.
- Minimum ratings: Intermediate (P3/H3). Read the General Site Guidelines for exceptions.
- GPS Coordinates: 34.1998, -117.3170. View Map.
- Type: Flat Slope Launch.
- Altitude: 2480′ MSL.
- Orientation: SSW.
- Best conditions: 0-15 mph S, SSE, SW.
- Glide ratio to AJX: 3.9:1
- Vehicle access: Dirt road (2WD vehicles with moderate clearance OK).
Local Conditions & Hazards
The 750 launch can be susceptible to gusty winds and high winds. Pilots are advised to consider their launching technique and experience before launching in these conditions. HG pilots are encouraged to use a wire man and obtain launch assistance during periods of high winds or gust spreads. Simply being able to launch does not imply that “the worst is over,” as the thermic air may be rougher than the pilot wants to manage. More information on when rough air can be expected is available here.
There is “bump” west of launch that create turbulence when the winds are west.
Additional Launch Hazards & Obstacles
- Wildlife danger – snakes, mountain lions, bears.
- Thunderstorms can develop, particularly in the spring and fall which can lead to gust fronts. Be on the lookout for a “wall of dust” (See figure 2 and 3) on days with towering cumulus.
Take Cloudland Truck Trail (2N40) up from AJX. It is a dirt road – use caution while driving.
Launch to LZ Video Flight
Hike & Fly
Into hiking, getting those early morning sledders, or just having trouble finding a ride up? The 750 Launch is a great hike-and-fly candidate. An average, middle-aged person that’s in fair (not awesome, but not awful) shape, carrying a full-sized PG and regular harness can make it up in about 30 minutes.
The trail is easy to follow, but there are a couple of forks/turns to contend with. The general rule is “stay left.” Video below is a quick walk-through on how to get there, starting from the northwest corner of AJX.
Last Revised: March 12, 2021