Home Forums Pilot Alerts & TFRs National Forest Closure – Cancelled!

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #10316
    Jerome Daoust
    General Member
    CSS Instructor
    #10317
    Mario Miralles
    General Member

    With the El Dorado and now Bobcat fire almost wrapped up, it would be a good time for someone with a good rapport with the San Bernardino FS to talk to them for permission for launching Crestline since we aren’t really going through, but over the Forest. I only know some of the Angeles FS folks and they have made allowances in the past. It has to be the right (diplomatic) person though.

    Throwing rants will not help anything. Knowing FS people on the front line, I can tell you that they could use a break too.

    #10319
    Ken Howells
    General Member

    20200930_201223

    I don’t see any Santa Anas or Red Flag Warnings here.

    #10320
    Ken Howells
    General Member

    20200930_201223

    I don’t see any Santa Anas or Red Flag Warnings here.

    Blanket closures like this are bureaucratic laziness at its finest.

     

    #10321
    Mario Miralles
    General Member

    Yes Ken, it would seem like a good time to make the case to the FS.

    #10323
    Jonathan Dietch
    General Member

    This afternoon, I reached out to Randy Moore, Regional Forester, who oversees the USFS land in SoCal where we fly. I received a call from Zach Behrens, Public Affairs Officer, San Bernardino National Forest. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, we will very likely regain access to our roads, trails, launches and landing sites sometime during the afternoon of Friday, October, 9, 2020. A new order is expected to be issued during the coming week which will specify what all is to be reopened and should mention the time of day this coming Friday that will have access.
    This will affect:
    Cleveland NF
    San Bernardino NF
    Angeles NF
    Los Padres NF

    #10371
    Jerome Daoust
    General Member
    CSS Instructor

    Good to go?

    The Forest Service updated their webpage: https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/r5/alert-notices#orders

    The restriction on having a campfire and smoking is extended to Oct 15, but the one of interest (access to the forest) seems eliminated.

    #10372

    I saw that earlier today, but didn’t know how to read that, since on this other page, it says that only 3 national forests were reopened (not SB):

    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r5/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD816967

    I also tried calling the various phone numbers on their site today to try to get a status, but couldn’t get a human. If anyone has a real contact in the Forest Service, it might be good to politely inquire about the status of San Bernardino.

    I would wait until later this evening to see if the closure was extended. The last few times, it was released around 9PM, so if we get to 10PM tonight with no extension, I’d hope we’re good to go. Fingers and toes crossed.

    #10375

    The San Bernardino Forest is now open! Crestline, Marshall, Regionals, and the 750 are back in full operation!! Woohoo!! Let’s get out there and fly! Can’t wait to see you in the sky!

    #10376

    #10377
    David Bratt
    General Member
Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.